Thursday 5 November 2009

Confused by the DSS...

The benefit system in this country really needs sorting out.

I signed-off today (YAY), only to be faced with starvation until payday. Apparently the only money I am entitled to (being without children, a spouse in the army or a major injury) is a 'crisis loan'. Fine, I say to the chirpy young lady on the other end of the phone, I'll take that then. Of course this involves me having to call another number, thus spending more money I don't have on phone bills.

But I'm suddenly terrified by the word 'loan'. How on earth am I going to pay this back? All of my wages, when I get them, will inevitably be eaten up by rent and food, leaving little or no room for loan repayment.

So, looking at this situation as if I've just been offered a crappy job I don't even want (which of course isn't the case), where is the motivation for me to take this job and sign-off? Faced by a month of extreme poverty, who in their right mind would want to get off the dole and start working?

Me, it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment