Friday 9 October 2009

Drunk Co-op Guy

I was just in my local Co-op after a late night chocolate fix when, in the queue I had an interesting exchange with a drunk guy who was valiantly striking up a banal conversation with two female students. He was asking them what they were studying and, assuming I was a student too, pointed the same question at me.
"I'm not studying anymore" I said, sticking my bottom lip out.
"Ah, whaddya do now 'en?"
"I'm unemployed, living the high-life of a graduate." I retorted. The sarcasm was, I admit, entirely defensive.
He shrugged and said (slurred) that he felt bad for me.
"Shit happens." I shrugged. A bumper-sticker response, but his time had come at the till so I didn't have time for my usual in-depth philosophical discussion of the whys and wherefores of living at the, excuse the phrase, shitty end of the proverbial stick.

Despite the fact that the guy was almost entirely nonsensical, I really appreciated the empathy he gave me. It's the greatest degree of compassion for my situation I have had from anyone but an immediate family member or close friend since I became unemployed.

Once he had staggered back out into the city one of the student he had been talking to asked me, "Why are you still in Plymouth?" and I automatically gave a frighteningly honest response. "I have no idea." And I really don't.

What has Plymouth really got to offer me as an arts graduate besides unemployment? I'd like to find out how many BA students are currently enrolled at the university, and explore this more. Why is the university attracting so many, while the city does nothing to keep them here?

No comments:

Post a Comment