Saturday 5 September 2009

Frustration


Frustration. A word which once only conjured the image of my favourite board game as a child (which then became a favourite drinking board game as a student), now has a whole other meaning in post-university unemployment.

I flew through school and college doing the subjects I loved best, not giving a thought to where they might eventually lead me. While some of my peers were lucky enough to be shooting for their perfect career in their teens, I took the advice of my mentors and continued doing what I loved until the perfect career presented itself to me - which didn't happen until my final year of university.

Now it is some months later, and due to circumstances (be it the easily blamed recession or just bad planning on my part) I find myself unemployed, with a barren CV and stagnating in the waters of my ambition. Wanting something and finding it out of reach. Going nowhere fast.

As easy as it would be to find my situation entirely hopeless, I must remember to realise how lucky I am in what I have achieved so far and to have found a direction. Taking the first step is the hardest part, I hope, and item one on my to-do list is to go out there and get myself a salary. Frustration can be the lead boots pulling me down, but it can also be the driving force behind me reaching my goals.

So be warned if you work for an employment agency, because I'm not too proud to beg.

No comments:

Post a Comment