Saturday 5 September 2009

My god it's half past three already.

Done a big load of washing, 8 t-shirts, 12 pairs of pants and countless socks. Room smells of detergent. Lovely.

I'm reading 'Inconceivable' by Ben Elton at the moment and I think it deserves a mention, not because it's particularly good or dreadful...but because it's a weird mixture of the two. I mean, it's a terrible book, really, it's one knob-gag away from being an episode of 'Kevin the Teenager', but I can't seem to put the damned thing down. What puzzles me more are the pull-quotes on the back of the cover: "Extremely funny, clever, well-written...brilliant, chaotic satire..." Have these people READ this book?? 'Extremely funny'? No. I've read plenty of books that have made me laugh out loud and the closest this one has come to that is provoking the occasional snort of distain. 'Clever, well-written'? Okay, I'll give them 'well-written' at least, I am turning the pages after all. 'Chaotic satire'? Satire? What exactly is this satirical of? It's like the reviewer is some GCSE student bent on using big words without looking up the definitions. I mean, really.

Ah, just got my explanation for the ill-informed review. It's from the Mail. 'Nuff said. I hate The Daily Mail for so many reasons (not least the badly written literature reviews), but what I'd hate more is to see it disappear. I stumbled across an old article on the internet a few days ago about Vivienne Westwood and her exposing herself when she collected her OBE (forgetting she was knicker-less she twirled her skirt and bared all *snicker*). The article seemed to be suggesting that she did it on purpose, the possible reason why she would do this on purpose forgotten about. Anyway, the funny bit came as I scanned the comments left by Daily Mail readers underneath the article. Some unintelligent, self-righteous dickhead had written: 'Ooh, isn't she clever?' in a very childish, sneering way. Well, YES she is clever, actually, she was afterall there to collect an OBE! Where's yours eh? In the shed with your Nobel Prizes and Bookers? People like this grind my gears but never fail to make me smile. Long live The Daily Mail and the idiots who read her.

Now, back to this crappy novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment